The UN Job List provides almost all currently available vacancies in the UN System in one easy to search database. For a quick overview over the current vacancies in the different organisations visit: http://unjoblist.org/lists/Organisation. The page provides an overview over all organisations listed and indicates how many vacancies are listed per organisation in total and how many were added in the last week. This provides a first clue for the question about who is hiring in the UN and who is not. However the list on this page is slightly misleading since not all organisations have their vacancies published for the same time. A good example would be the comparison between UNOPS which has publishes opportunities usually for two weeks in contrast to the UN secretariat which has typically posted their jobs for two months.
Now, who is hiring in the UN system? Well, looking at vacancies as collected by UN Job List during the last few months (April 4th to July 21st 2007) the top 5 organisations are these:
1. UN DPKO – United Nations Department For Peace Keeping Operations: 584 vacancies
2. UNDP – United Nations Development Programme: 527 vacancies
3. WHO – World Health Organisation: 519 vacancies
4. UNOPS – United Nations Office for Project Services: 192 vacancies
5. ICC – International Criminal Court: 107 vacancies
But to be fair a lot of the UN DPKO vacancies are open vacancies and seem like they have been around for a while. If you take to open DPKO vacancies out of the picture the top 5 organisations look like this:
1. UNDP – United Nations Development Programme: 527 vacancies
2. WHO – World Health Organisation: 519 vacancies
3. UNOPS – United Nations Office for Project Services: 192 vacancies
4. ICC – International Criminal Court: 107 vacancies
5. UN DPKO – United Nations Department For Peace Keeping Operations: 96 vacancies
As stated above, the statistic includes the organisations which are listed on UN Job List. Some organizations like WFP are not in the UN Job List statistics, since they recruit via a roster and do not have public vacancy announcements. Also, it is worthwhile keeping in mind that this list is about external vacancies only. For obvious reasons the UN Job List does not include internal vacancies and there is no way to determine form the outside if none, one, two or many persons have been hired for a vacancy.
To review current UN vacancies visit UN Job List today at: http://unjoblist.org