Application Process

Home Forums UN Job List Forum Application Process

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 112 total)
  • Author
    Rottmair Sebastian
    Keymaster
    10 pts

Hi DArt – I think that sadly, the 6 months is not yet out of the norm. I would give it more time, especially if we are talking about UN Secretariat vacancies…

Good luck and please do let us know how things are going for you!

#2324 Score: 0
    FACProcMnl
    Participant
    1 pt

Hi Sebastian,

I applied for a roster position (Requisitions Assistant) last January and took the assessment test early February. I have not received any email after that but I’ve been regularly checking the Inspira website for status/update.

I found out last week that the status was updated to “Recruitment Completed” but when I checked again today, it was changed back to “Under Consideration”. Have you heard similar situations like this before? Is this normal?

Thank you.

#2325 Score: 0
    abraham5869
    Participant
    4 pts

Hi Sebastian !
    I appreciate your contribution to the UN aspirants! I had for the first time appeared for an online assessment test in Dec-2015; followed by 10 others. It was for a P-4 position in Nairobi; till date the Job Status indicates ‘Under Consideration’, even after 28 months. My question is…will this ever be resolved ? and what maybe the reason for such long delay ? Should we be hopeful for such long periods ?

#2329 Score: 0
    Hope
    Participant

Hi Sebastian,

Waiting for your response to Abraham concern, I got through the same situation for the ”requisition assistant” assessment I took last january.

Recruitment completed to under consideration again. Seems so strange….

#2333 Score: 0
    Rottmair Sebastian
    Keymaster
    10 pts

Hi all,

I honestly don’t really know what is behind this – anybody from the UN on the inside that could help out here? What is going on?

Thanks everyone!

#2337 Score: 1
    NK
    Participant
    2 pts

Hi,

My experience with UN System Organization: I applied for UNEP/Geneva P2 1 year renewable contract sometime mid Dec 2017. Soon I submitted my application the application status turned to ‘under consideration’. After following Inspira for application status on regular basis all this time, yesterday the status turned to ‘filled from roster’. (three month a contract is signed as the hiring manager tend to inform the rest once a contract is signed)

While browsing through Inspira instructions, I found that Hiring Managers are supposed to shortlist/recommend candidates to the selection board within two months of the application closing date. So in my case, the hiring manager did that within two months and I believe the third month they interviewed and signed the contract with an applicant from the roster.

Given this situation, I now tend to believe shortlisting is done within first month of closing date so if an applicant does not hear anything in due time (first two months max) it mean the hiring manager is considering other applicants or recommending a roster applicant, hence, it’s hopeless to hope anything positive.

Note that this is my experience and it may not be always like this with every system organization, as I have an application status with UNOPS P2 PM position
    Longlisted/shortlisting for last five months. The only time I heard from UNOPS was when they extended the submission deadline but there is no news yet although I dropped an email which was read but not got any response.

Cheers!

#2350 Score: 1
    Sns
    Participant
    1 pt

Hi guys,

I have applied to a position with UNICEF. I have completed the written assignment, interview and reference check. Last week they called me to check my original documents.

A. Is it okay to assume that the next communication should be an offer now? Or do they go through reference checks and documents check for more than one candidate?
    B. What could be the internal steps that the HR must be completing now?
    C. How many days should I wait before checking with them about the progress? Why do they not commit to a date and say you’ll hear by so and so date?

The anxious wait takes so much energy!!

#2361 Score: 0
    Rottmair Sebastian
    Keymaster
    10 pts

A) Yes, I would assume the next step is an offer

B) I blogged about that some time ago – check out this post here: https://www.rottmair.de/2011/08/03/un-recruitment-what-steps-take-how-long-in-the-process/

C) I would give this at least 2 weeks – if they need to conduct a recruitment review, it may take a few days. Then getting the document with the offer in order will take some time, too.

Good luck!

#2362 Score: 0
    Sns
    Participant
    1 pt

Thanks a lot!

#2366 Score: 0
    CnK
    Participant
    1 pt

Hi Sebastian,

After decades of applying and trying to get into the UN, I finally -yippee- got invited for POLNET SPT tests for a P3 & P4 position in Bangui and Nairobi in October 2017.
    Thankfully, I passed both tests, that was end October 2017.

In Mid-December 2017, I was again invited for an SKT test for a D1 position.

I have never heard from anyone again regarding either of the posts.
    Few weeks ago, the P4 Nairobi position changed to “recruitment completed”.Adieus!!
    A thorough google search showed the P3 SKT tests were in early March but I was never contacted.
    I haven’t even been rostered.

I know th drafting skills are based on subjective evaluation, but I know my drafting skills test was good and I also know for a fact I must have ACEd my SKT for the D1.
    Besides, I was a great match for the P4 in Nairobi, both in terms of the desired and required skills, qualifications and experience.
    I was sure I was finally getting into the UN but sadly, the UN remains a club. Besides excellent skills, qualifications & experience-which should be all one needs-, I have neither a godfather nor the right name nor the “right” nationality.
    For an African woman who did everything to position herself for a professional win, it has killed my belief in hardwork.

Although the D1 and P3 still show “under consideration”, must one have connections to get anywhere in the UN?

#2372 Score: 0
    Rottmair Sebastian
    Keymaster
    10 pts

Hi CnK – thanks for sharing! I know it can be very frustrating as a process. And I’m aware that it is very hard to ace the profile, the tests, the interviews and finally get the job.
    As difficult to see that, the truth is, that there are typically many people applying to a job that meet all the requirements. In short, even if you are the 100% perfect match for a job, there is no guarantee that you will get it – which is frustrating, but not an indicator that the process is not fair/transparent.

If you apply very broadly from P3 to D1 – I would recommend you sharpen your profile a bit more and target your applications: In UN terms, there are worlds of difference between a P3 and a D1.

If I were the hiring manager and I would see you apply to that range of jobs, I would be worried if you know what you get yourself into.

Good luck job hunting!

#2381 Score: 1
    CnK
    Participant
    1 pt

Hi Sebastian,

Thank you for a very sober and reassuring response.
    I have re-read it over and over again, in deep appreciation.
    Indeed, if I osvillate between P3 and D1, I must seem lost (ofcourse in my “unswise” wisdom, it is just a very passionate attempt to get in, even at a level lower than my competence.
    I am advised.

Thanks sgain, I stumbled upon this forum and I am grateful.my next attempts will be spruced up and targeted

🤜

#2382 Score: 0
    Telecom-Engineer
    Participant

Dear Abraham,

Can you help me , if you have all question test for F4 Post…

Before Seven months I did Pre selection test FS4 but not success .. so May you can support me
    Cheers

#2383 Score: 0
    FACProcMnl
    Participant
    1 pt

Hi CnK,

Just curious. How soon did you find out the results of the test? How did you know that you passed the test?

Thanks.

#2386 Score: 0
    abraham5869
    Participant
    4 pts

Dear Telecom-Engineer! Kindly connect on my email abraham5869@gmail.com

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 112 total)
  • The topic ‘Application Process’ is closed to new replies.