Application Process

Home Forums UN Job List Forum Application Process

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 112 total)
  • Author
    NK
    Participant
    2 pts

Be The Change:
    Depending on the country of your origin and the membership status of the gov institute with the UN. The UN asks you to identify if your present/last employer is/was a gov institute (if so, that makes the worker a civil servant) then it may create a conflict of interest hiring such a person under the advertised contract agreement for the UN job.

The civil servants in any country are recruited by the UN system organizations but they are seconded by their govs. Meaning if you are currently working with your government agency/institute that is recognized by the UN to have comparable protocols in place, they may hire you but in that case while assessing you they also have to negotiate with your current employer and then normally your current employer seconded you to new assignment at the UN for the post duration. Once you complete your assignment with the UN, you can get back where you left.

In case your last employer was a gov agency/institute, sometimes you need a NOC from your last or present employer to work outside of the country in certain position.

You seems to already know that bureaucracy is a lengthy word!

#3014 Score: 0
    Cesaire
    Participant

Hello
    Last year I was selected for a secondment post for UN , and I was interviewed and did the test online. Up to now I do not receive the result of my application , I need to know if I succeed or not .Thank you
    Cesaire

#3031 Score: 0
    hyp007
    Participant

Hi Sebastian,

First of all, I wanted to say thanks for keeping us updated and elaborating on the UN Recruitment process. I know it may get difficult as we tend to ask redundant or confusing questions, so I really appreciate you assisting us through this job process.

Anyway, this is my timeline:

March: Apply online to a P3 Communications Position for the UNOMS
    Early May: Invitation to take the GGST (Passed)
    Mid May: Invitation to take the UN Assessment Test

I understand that the recruitment process can be slow, but I was wondering how long it usually takes to get the results of the Assessment Test. I only ask because I took the GGST on a Friday and received the results the following Monday, and expected the same time frame from the UN Assessment Test.

I also read somewhere that if I don’t hear from the UN after the Assessment test, it’s because I failed it. Can I assume this to be valid in my case?

Again, I apologize for the length question, and thanks in advance for your help!

#3041 Score: 0
    Be_The_Change
    Participant
    4 pts

Hi NK !

Thank you a lot for your reply!

I wonder if being a State Government Military member would be a down side for the selection process. I understood all of this bureaucracy but I’m prepared to leave the Government if UN give me an offer.

I thought this question was regarding work experience, like, being a civil servant would be like half way to work at teh UN…

Let’s see!

Concluding, do you think I have less chances of getting an offer because I currently work at a military (Gov.) organization?

Thank you once again!

#3077 Score: 1
    NK
    Participant
    2 pts

Be the Change: You are welcome, I simply cannot comment on your situation outcome/status, but the instructions/draft of the email/acknowledgement about your application submission that you have received, may clarify your doubts.

What is your application status states, any timeline? Is it through Inspira?

Being a civil servant would be like half way to work at teh UN…

NO it is the experience expertise skills that are required not the status of organization.

I wonder if being a State Government Military member would be a down side for the selection process.

NO not at all as long as you states clearly in your application and if there is no conflict of interest.

I wish you and everyone here a success !

#3085 Score: 0
    Tester
    Participant

Early May: Invitation to take the GGST (Passed)

Hi,

just a question. Up to now, my understanding was that the GGST Test is exclusively for positions in the general service and not for P positions? Even the UN say something similar on their website.

Just asking because I was also recently invited to sit for the GGST test and passed it, though I haven’t heard anything from them since, in typical UN fashion. But mine was a GS position, not a P position. That You applied for a P3 position and was invited to sit for the GGST Test is to me a surprise.

#3086 Score: 0
    hyp007
    Participant

Tester: hello! Yes I specifically applied for a P position but was still invited to take the GGST.

Judging by the type of questions they asked, I’m guessing it’s more of a competence test than anything else?

But yes going back to your statement, I was surprised to notice that many of the candidates that I was taking the GGST with were also applying for P positions as well.

#3087 Score: 0
    Tester
    Participant

Hi hyp007, thanks for the quick reply. I guess you learn something new every day. Up to today, I thought the GGST is exclusively for GS positions.

Judging by the type of questions they asked, I’m guessing it’s more of a competence test than anything else?

I personally found it to be more or less a general knowledge test.

#3198 Score: 0
    UNdertheradar
    Participant

Hello hyp007,

I applied to the same position with UNOMS and took the UN Assessment in mid-May. I was not asked to take the GGST. I haven’t heard anything back since the assessment’s deadline on May 20th. However, I’m not completely surprised because I have worked for the UN before and this is their MO…About a month or so between every step of the hiring process. Don’t give up hope just yet.

Good luck!

• This reply was modified 5 years, 10 months ago by UNdertheradar.
    #3200 Score: 0
    hyp007
    Participant

Hi UNDertheradar,

Thanks for your reply, it’s very encouraging to hear that I may not be out of the race yet!

Best of luck to you as well!

#3217 Score: 0
    starbuck87
    Participant
    1 pt

Hello! Two years ago I applied for a p-2 position at the IAEA and got to the interview, but I was rejected after 4 months of waiting. Before that, there was a sonru video interview- with technical questions mostly.
    Now I got an invitation for another interview, but there was no sonru testing. Would this mean that they changed the process, or there could be fewer candidates, so they are going straight to the interviews?
    Thank you and best of luck!

#3218 Score: 0
    ataylor
    Participant

I’ve done two interviews with the IAEA in the past year (P4 and P3) and there was no sonru video interview – just written test, then video teleconference interview.

#3221 Score: 0
    starbuck87
    Participant
    1 pt

Thank you ataylor! This time they called me straight to the interview, no written test before or anything. Just wondering could this be one of those “fake” interviews where they are calling candidates only to be in compliance with some recruitment policy when they already have someone for the job.

#3222 Score: 0
    Gerula
    Participant
    3 pts

Hi
    I got a SONRU interview several months ago for another organisation. I believe that this is the first step of the recruitment process for some organisations: if you are successful, you can move on the next stage, written test and/or panel interview. The questions you are about to answer are based on your knowledge of organisation, the role you have applied for and some generic questions. The whole process should take no longer than 30 minutes to finish, which includes checking your setup, doing some practice questions and completing the interview.
    This new approach could be a change of recruitment policy.

• This reply was modified 5 years, 9 months ago by Gerula.
    • This reply was modified 5 years, 9 months ago by Gerula.
    #3225 Score: 1
    starbuck87
    Participant
    1 pt

Hi Gerula! I don’t have sonru interview this time. My previous experience with sonru was similar, but nearly all questions were ment to test my knowledge and technical skills related to the post (no generic questions). This time I am invited to a panel interview without sonru or a written test before that.

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 112 total)
  • The topic ‘Application Process’ is closed to new replies.