Contracts, Grades and Levels

Home Forums UN Job List Forum Contracts, Grades and Levels

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 50 total)
  • Author
    Rottmair Sebastian
    Keymaster
    10 pts

Please discuss contract types, grades and levels here

#1872 Score: 0
    Asjadkhan
    Participant

Can we pose questions at this forum plz?

#1873 Score: 0
    Rottmair Sebastian
    Keymaster
    10 pts

Absolutely – ask away!

#1879 Score: 0
    AhmedYem
    Participant

Hello, Rottmair Sebastian!

Could you please explain to me what would the rate of MSA for a “Field Language Assistant GL-5” in Yemen (NJO) be?

#1880 Score: 0
    veramoho
    Participant

Hello Sebastian, I have found a post at L-4 level for a professional position (similar to P-4) advertised by UNICEF. Do you know this category? Where can I find more information about it?

#1884 Score: 0
    Counto
    Participant

Hello! good to be here
    Does the retirement age applies to SC contract holders? an SC service contract holder (contract renewable every year) has been working for UNDP for many years in one of his country’s public institution; he is now being told that he has reached the retirement age. Since he joined this matter was never raised or mentioned before. any other case such as this one, has been heard of?
    best

#1886 Score: 0
    Rottmair Sebastian
    Keymaster
    10 pts

Sorry, I wouldn’t know this one. But it is an interesting question – does anybody else know?

#1887 Score: 0
    Rottmair Sebastian
    Keymaster
    10 pts

Do you have the link to that? If it really is similar to a P4, I think a good starting point would be the information that is out there on P4s. Do you have any specific questions on that contract type?

Anybody from UNICEF reading this? What are the details of a L4 contract?

#1888 Score: 0
    Rottmair Sebastian
    Keymaster
    10 pts

I always assumed that SCs are also subject to the mandatory age of retirement. However, if I were in that situation I would try to get a hold of the UNDP policy on that. You would be amazed how many things are assumptions in peoples heads and few bother to check the latest policy.

So that would definitely be step 1.

If he has to stop working as SC, I would try to see if there is a possibility for a follow-on SSA?

#1912 Score: 0
    kirby.mk
    Participant

Dear Sebastian,
    Thank you so much for taking the time to create this resource. My question is this: how common is it to enter permanent UN service by starting in a contract position? I have been contacted re: a three-month contract/ consultancy for IOM and would love to eventually build a career with either IOM or UNHCHR. However, in taking this short opportunity, I would be turning down a full time/ full benefits/ great salaried position in an unrelated field. How likely is it that I could either extend the contract I hope to be offered into a longer position, or move directly into another (and another, and another, over time?)

Hope this makes sense. Thanks again for any insight you may have. All the best.

#1913 Score: 0
    Rottmair Sebastian
    Keymaster
    10 pts

Hi there,

that’s a good question – and I think the answer is coloured by personal experiences – so anybody else, please feel free to jump in!

I would say the following: if you can “afford” it, a short-term contract is a great way to start. It gives you time to figure out if you landet in the right place, you gain knowledge and expertise and you learn what is important in the job. This will help you in future applications a lot.

However, a 3 months contract often misses important benefits and there is no guarantee that there is any successor contract.

I personally know people who decided both ways: take the job and decline such a job. In the end it often boils down to your living circumstances. If you have to support a huge family / pay-off your mortgage / other financial obligations a 3 months contract is a bit of a risk. If you are free to do whatever you want, I personally would probably give it a go.

Either way, let us know what you did? Cheers & good luck!

#1914 Score: 0
    Manika
    Participant

Hello Sebastian,
    If you wouldn’t mind I would like to ask you “what does Professional staff, Grade : UG ungraded mean?” Vacancy been asked to work for IOM for 6 months. What does this level equivalent to?
    Thanks
    Manika

#1915 Score: 0
    Rottmair Sebastian
    Keymaster
    10 pts

Hi Manika, that’s an interesting one – ungraded means that it has not been further graded beyond the job being professional staff. Does it say how many years of experience you need? Because that would be a hint as to what kind of job we are talking about…

#1934 Score: 0
    yhaniB
    Participant

Hello..Good day..
    I would like to know how much is the salary for a contract level LICA-5??
    Its a job vacancy for Administrative Assistant in Manila, Philippines. (Link below)

https://jobs.unops.org/pages/ViewVacancy/VADetails.aspx?id=13382

I’ve tried googling it but i can’t find the exact answer.
    Thank you..

#1935 Score: 0
    Rottmair Sebastian
    Keymaster
    10 pts

Hi there,

the LICA fees are pretty similar to the equivalent G-Level salaries. (In practice some of the benefits of the G-Contracts are paid in cash – so LICAs may seem to get a bit more money but a few less other benefits).

The G-Level salaries are here: https://info.undp.org/gssu/onlinetools/SalCalcLocal/SalCalcLocal.aspx

Cheers, Sebastian

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 50 total)
  • The topic ‘Contracts, Grades and Levels’ is closed to new replies.