Break in Service Question

Home Forums UN Job List Forum Break in Service Question

• This topic has 3 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by Anja.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    lostpeacekeeper
    Participant

Hello everybody,

I hope I can get some advise in this forum as I really do not know who I should ask regarding my case: I am currently working as a consultant for an institute that is NOT part of the UN Secretariat. However, I believe that those institutions have to decide whether to follow Secretariat or UNOPS rules and my institute decided to follow UN Secretariat rules even though it does not belong to the secretariat.

I am currently in the interview process for a JPO Position (P2), sponsored by my country, in a different location, but also administered by the Secretariat.

Now my concern is that even in the case that I might be offered the JPO position, they might impose a 6-months break in service on me (even though my institute is not part of the secretariat) and that the new office will say that they are not willing to wait for someone for half a year and will rather choose another candidate. I am really, really interested in the JPO position and would hate for that being the reason for me not being selected. I also dont really see the point why from a consultancy in a non-Secretariat position to a P2 in a completely different location/agency, I should be blocked for half a year! (Only reason being that both are administered by the Secretariat).

Whenever I talk to UN people in the field, I hear “rules are there to be broken and there are exceptions if they really want you”, however, when talking to other HR experts, I heard that the 6-months break in service is quite strict.

Does anyone have experience with this topic? Or knows ways to get around it? Or people that I could contact to discuss this matter (and persuade that they should not impose the break in service)?

Any help is really appreciated.

#2816 Score: 0
    Anja
    Participant

I don’t think this rule applies for JPOs. At least I have never heard of it applying to JPOs.

#2818 Score: 0
    lostpeacekeeper
    Participant

Do you have actual examples where the rule did not apply? Or was that for candidates applying from agencies, like UNDP? Looking for any examples where break of service did not apply for JPO positions. Or who (in DESA?) I could contact about this?

#2821 Score: 0
    Anja
    Participant

Sorry I was only talking about the JPOSC amdministered JPOs…

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The topic ‘Break in Service Question’ is closed to new replies.