Home Forums UN Job List Forum Internships in the UN

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Rottmair Sebastian
    Keymaster
    10 pts

This is a question from CI:

Hi Sebastian,

Sounds like you are doing some great job!

Just wondering if internship is still a good avenue to possibly join the UN (later after internship). I was recently invited for an internship at UNESCO, and I’ve already accepted a paid internship with a private company. I see the UN internship as a good opportunity to increase my chance of possible getting a UN job later (this has been my dream for ~10 years). So just wondering if, for example, there are specific UN entities where internship may help get hired later and if, for example, joining as a UNV is better than an internship.

Thanks.

Answer: I think internships in the UN are often a brilliant way to get started. Yes, some organisations have blackout periods, yes many organisations tell you this is not an official avenue to get a job. But internships really offer you to get the inside view. The actual experience, to learn first hand what working for the UN is like. I know a lot of people who started their career as an intern. So if it is a dream of yours, go for it!

In terms of where is may be easier to land a job after the internship? First off: chose an organisation that is not in financial trouble. Second, check for blackout periods and their general flexibility. Funds and Programms are typically easier than UN Secretariat. Other than that luck and your own flexibility/job profile may impact on your chances, too.

Good luck!

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • The topic ‘Internships in the UN’ is closed to new replies.