Negotiating salary

Home Forums UN Job List Forum Negotiating salary

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Pedro morales
    Participant
    2 pts

First off, thanks so much for all the work you do helping all of us out!

My question is with regards to salary negotiations. If I were to be offered a fixed term position at P3, would I be able to negotiate a higher starting step based on my experience (over 10 years), or does everyone start at step 1?

Thanks!

#2139 Score: 0
    Rottmair Sebastian
    Keymaster
    10 pts

I would definitely try. Typically, HR does a calculation on where you should be based on your CV (unless you come from a lower grade, then typically you start at step 1). So I would definitely negotiate. On the other hand, don’t be too disappointed if there is no success in the negotiation.

Good luck!

#2140 Score: 0
    tsarr
    Participant
    1 pt

Hello Sebastian,

I get the same kind of question: the position that I’ve applied exists in P3 and P4, I’ve applied for both however I’ve been selected for interview only for the P3 one, although my profile fulfils the requirement of P4 (master’s degree + 7 years). I haven’t negotiated the salary in the panel interview since I didn’t get much time to ask questions at the end of the interview, and I thought to do so might have negative influence on the HR’s decision of selection.

Now I’m waiting for the offer (or refuse letter..), in your opinion do I still get the chance to make a negotiation? If yes when should I do it?

And they have done the reference check the last week, I haven’t received any news till today although I’ve been told that I will get a reply in January. Do you think it’s appropriate to ask proactively the HR for a response?

Thanks!

#2141 Score: 0
    Rottmair Sebastian
    Keymaster
    10 pts

Hi there,

that kind of negotiation is coming much later – in the interview you would typically not discuss the financials at all. Later, once you are the selected candidate, you can negotiate starting date, steps (for the fee when it is a consultant/SSA/ICA).

So just wait for the outcome of the process and see.

Good luck!

#2162 Score: 0
    TomP
    Participant
    1 pt

Hello Sebastian – Thank you for maintaining this excellent resource.

Can I ask, when negotiating starting salary step/ date for a new entrant, does the negotiation happen with HR (in NY) or with the relevant recruiting department? (in this case Vienna)

And with respect to reference checking, is this something that always happens before an offer of employment? or can it happen afterwards?

Thank you

#2168 Score: 0
    Rottmair Sebastian
    Keymaster
    10 pts

What I experienced is that you get an offer. Once you get the offer, you can of course negotiate and discuss if the offer is acceptable to you. If/how the organisation changes or improves the offer may differ quite a bit. But there is always the option to try. And I’m not aware of any offer being taken back later – so there is not much to lose in this case.

#2422 Score: 0
    Lonsdale6
    Participant

Hi Sebastian!

Thank you for creating this wonderful resource. I’m wondering, will HR consider one’s salary history (non UN, but an international development bank) when calculating the salary/step to be offered?

Cheers

#2423 Score: 0
    Rottmair Sebastian
    Keymaster
    10 pts

That’s not typically the case. Of course if you are “in between” your previous salary may tip the scale. But normally the job is graded (that’s what determines your level/grade), then your step is the relevant experience that you bring to the job (i.e. years you are doing the job).

For ICAs, ICs and other consultants, that’s a different ballgame though -then the rules are much more flexible…

#2592 Score: 0
    simkas
    Participant

Dear Sebastian,

Does IICA 1 correspond to P-2 level’s salary? Are contractors eligible also for the Post adjustment allowance?

Thank you!

#2594 Score: 0
    Mariano
    Participant

Bonjour chers tous

Dites moi est ce que quelqu’un qui a fraîchement le Baccalaurét peut avoir une chance de travailler avec l’ONU ou travailler avec l’une de ses organisations ?

Merci de me répondre.

#2613 Score: 0
    Rottmair Sebastian
    Keymaster
    10 pts

Yes, I would say the IICA1 is roughly in line with a P2 salary. Good luck!

#2616 Score: 0
    Mariano
    Participant

Merci Mr Sebastian pour m’avoir repondu.

Mais je souhaiterais discuter un peu avec vous pour des préoccupations personnelles relatives à l’ONU.

Alors, pour ne pas surcharger le forum, je vous pris très respectueusement et humblement de bien vouloir m’écrire sur mon adresse e-mail qui est: nonovi001@gmail.com si vous avez un peu de temps mort.

Je vous aurais écrit si j’avais votre coordonnées.

Merci…

#2617 Score: 0
    Yann Mbuyi Ngandu
    Participant

Hello Mrs Sébastien I want to how this society fonctionne,comment faire pour travailler

#2623 Score: 0
    missmandy
    Participant

Dear Sebastian, Thanks for a very useful blog which i just stumbled on. My question is this: I have just been offered an International Regular Consultancy with WFP for a job requiring an advanced university degree and minimum 5 years experience (I have 7). However The honourarium being offered is on a lower salary step(step 1 which equates to post secondary school and 3.5 years of experience. Do I have grounds to negotiate this? The problem is that it is a continuing contract so they might say i’ve accepted it before. Also the next step which i belong in indicates 6-10 years of experience.

• This reply was modified 5 years, 12 months ago by missmandy.
    #2653 Score: 0
    Rottmair Sebastian
    Keymaster
    10 pts

Hi Missmandy,

I would try to negotiate. That rarely harms. On the years of experience watch out: it often says “relevant experience” not just “professional experience” and then your long years of experience become subject to interpretation…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • The topic ‘Negotiating salary’ is closed to new replies.