Contracts, Grades and Levels

Home Forums UN Job List Forum Contracts, Grades and Levels

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 50 total)
  • Author
    yhaniB
    Participant

Hi, Sebastian..
    Thank you very much..
    That link was very helpful.. Finally, now i know..

If you wont mind, another question please..Stated under duration is as follows:

“Duration : 6 months, renewable subject to satisfactory performance and funding availability.”

Let us say performance is satisfactory, but what if the funding stops due to some inevitable circumstances, does that mean contract will be terminated immediately? Are there any chance of being absorbed with other Agencies under UN?? or is there anyway to continue employment under UN?

Thank you very much..

Cheers, Yhani

#1937 Score: 0
    Rottmair Sebastian
    Keymaster
    10 pts

If the funding stops, then contracts will not be renewed – that’s quite usual in all UN contracts that I have seen. However, often there is sufficient warning if funding is likely to stop.

If in doubt, I would ask about these things in the interview. I would ask something like this: “I know you say subject to available funding – do you expect that to continue or is this funding a one-off?”.

As to continuing in other UN organisations: I don’t think there is a guarantee. However, I do think the chance of getting something else is higher: for one you know the system and have a network and for two UN organisations often appreciate UN experience.

Good luck!

#1938 Score: 0
    yhaniB
    Participant

I see.
    Yes, right, questions can be raised during interview.. (if i get that far..hahaha..Just kidding)

Thanks a lot for the insights.

Keep safe..

-Yhani-

#1943 Score: 0
    Counto
    Participant

dear Sebastian
    many thanks for your answer. i checked the guidelines and conditions of employment under SC contract to help government development. the SC contract as you know is a yearly renewable contract. no where in the guidelines or other documents about SC published by UN on google is there any mention of retirement. fact is that they give SC contract to UN staff after retirement so that they continue necessary work. the SC contract that i am describing had contract renewed passed the retirement age several years and had no reason to believe that retirement conditions apply. other staff colleagues had SC contracts past the age of 70. is there a way to claim compensation because of the sudden change of UN policy which puts the SC contract holder in dire situation. which courts are competent to sue UN and could this be considered as a breach of contract.i know that you can’t sue the UN whatsoever.
    thanks and best regards

#1946 Score: 0
    vanlast
    Participant

I have two questions regarding contracts.
    In the past i have applied to some P-level vacancies without success. I was thinking about to participate in a competition for a G-level vacancy as an entry door. Do you think this would be a good idea? Would working at a G-level position help so as to reach a P-level position in the future?. The problem is that at present I have a good senior job, and I feel it is risky to take a low level position with a low level salary.

The second question is that the vacancy I am interested in only indicates GS-6 level (multiple positions), but not state if it is a permanent, temporal of fixed term contract. Is there any way to find out any information about that?

Thanks in advance for your help!.

#1953 Score: 0
    Rottmair Sebastian
    Keymaster
    10 pts

If you have a senior stable job right now, I would be careful to apply to G-Level posts. There is limited room to grow and it is not a given you will easily make the jump to the P-Level. There are stories of people that got “stuck” and there are stories of people who made the jump. But typically, I would advise to go for the right job at the right level, rather than trying to be too strategic about the application. But of course your individual case may be different so I can’t really tell you.

On the contract types? I would ask during the interview, if you get that far.

#1957 Score: 0
    Be_The_Change
    Participant
    4 pts

Dear Mr. Rottmair,

I constantly encounter the folowwing statement on Job Lists:

“This vacancy is subject to availability of post. Availability of the post is subject to approval by the General Assembly. Extension of the appointment is subject to extension of the mandate and/or the availability of the funds. ”

Could you give me your interpretation to that?
    Does it mean that the appointment might not be constantly renewed? How often does a GA cancel a post? “How common” is a post to be cancelled due to lack of financial resources?

Thank you very much indeed!!!

#1958 Score: 0
    Rottmair Sebastian
    Keymaster
    10 pts

Essentially, the UN is a bit in a double bind here: on the one hand, they would like to plan long-term have a great workforce and be able to respond effectively to any need. On the other hand, member states want to have ultimate power over funding and UN activities. So the statement reflects that notion.

Typically, the GA extends mandates of e.g. Peace Keeping missions twice a year and in the majority of cases (I would say) things work out just fine. Just be aware that these posts are not guaranteed for life.

Good luck!

#1970 Score: 0
    wlimiadyx
    Participant

Hi Sebastian,

I’m planning to apply for a position in UNOPS as a LICA-9 in Jakarta, Indonesia. I want to know the title equivalence, whether it’s a GS or NO level. UNOPS salary calculator does not enlist LICA on its grade options. Please enlighten.

Cheers,
    Willy

#1971 Score: 0
    Rottmair Sebastian
    Keymaster
    10 pts

Hi there, yes, LICA9 is at national officer level

#1972 Score: 0
    wlimiadyx
    Participant

Thanks Sebastian. You’ve been very helpful.

Do you know which NO grade is LICA-9 equivalent to: NO-A or NO-B?

Cheers!
    Willy

#1973 Score: 0
    Dalina
    Participant

Hi Sebastian,

I have concern as below.

I left UNDP Global Shared Service Center Kuala Lumpur last June 2017 (after serving 2.5 years). My level before leaving is G6.

Do you have any idea what is the chances for me to be under UN system again? I am currently qualified accountant by ACCA and also completed master program.

#1974 Score: 0
    vanlast
    Participant

Thank you Sebastian for your very useful comments.

#1975 Score: 0
    Rottmair Sebastian
    Keymaster
    10 pts

As far as I know – so please take this with a grain of salt! The LICA scales follow exactly the ICS levesl. So LICA6 = ICS6 = GS6; LICA7 = G7 = ICS7; LICA8 = ICS8 = NOA; LICA9 = ICS9 = NOB

But I would check with them in the interview, just to be 100% certain. Good luck!

#1976 Score: 0
    Rottmair Sebastian
    Keymaster
    10 pts

Hi there,

I don’t think it is possible to say “your chances are X%”. But I would say that if you are flexible to move where the UN has jobs, emphasize the good experience you got from working with UNDP and keep applying to relevant jobs, I think you should be able to find something.

Good luck and all my best!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 50 total)
  • The topic ‘Contracts, Grades and Levels’ is closed to new replies.